The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.

Advice Please: Nummy Hunkered In, Getting Ready to Blow Cash on good Sim Computer

Get advice on your tackle, or for Charlie to ask questions when he's broken his computer.

Moderator: Bunny

Gosho
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Re: Advice Please: Nummy Hunkered In, Getting Ready to Blow Cash on good Sim Computer

Post by Gosho »

Nummy wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:29 pm I'm surfing the net and this came up which is affordable.
Would something like this work for Il2--and video editing?

https://www.newegg.com/allegiance-gamin ... 000P-00009

Thanks
I think graphics card is not up to the task and it doesn't have a decent HDD which you said you needed.
Nummy
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Re: Advice Please: Nummy Hunkered In, Getting Ready to Blow Cash on good Sim Computer

Post by Nummy »

Gosho I printed your specs out and its off to nephew.
The extra cash is there . . . for once.
Much thanks.
Cheers Mate

I'll keep you posted on nephew's response.
"The flash of a Spitfire's wing, then, through the misty glare of the summer sky, the first flash of a sharpened sword."

Vincent "Jimmy" Sheean, American journalist, watching a dogfight over Dover, August 1940.
Gosho
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Gosho »

So, you can expect a response from your nephew of the sort "What is that, that guy doesn't know what they're talking about!" and he'd be right :)

It is a good starting point of the discussion I hope.

Keep twisting!
Eddie
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Registered for: 6 years

Post by Eddie »

AMD CPUs come with a stock cooler, the ones that have the more advanced one dont need a standalone CPU cooler, provided you have a good ventilated case.
I would drop the CPU cooler and spend the money on a better procesor or GPU.

RAF-Czechoslovakian exile troops, F/O. Eddie Havran - No.601 Squadron, Yellow Section, West Malling, 1941
Oberfeldwebel der Luftwaffe, Engelbert von Raben - Jagdflieger der Jagdgechwader 26, Westfront, 1944/45
USAAF, 2LT Eddie Raven - 379th FS, 362nd FG, 9th Army Air Force, December 1944
Eddie
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Registered for: 6 years

Post by Eddie »

I would suggest you buy some fans for the case and possibly a wifi adapter too.

RAF-Czechoslovakian exile troops, F/O. Eddie Havran - No.601 Squadron, Yellow Section, West Malling, 1941
Oberfeldwebel der Luftwaffe, Engelbert von Raben - Jagdflieger der Jagdgechwader 26, Westfront, 1944/45
USAAF, 2LT Eddie Raven - 379th FS, 362nd FG, 9th Army Air Force, December 1944
Nummy
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Nummy »

Howdy Gosho and Eddie:
First, Gosho, the nephew approves the list.
As does a friend in England who makes controls for commercial flight simulators.

Eddie: the nephew did say think about a better processor.
(These sixteen year old Nerds know everything.)
What processor would you recommend?
And case fans?
And the house has a Wifi adapter (I think) Anyway, it's wireless.

Okay, the Bold Question:
I have helped put computers together, new build.
Never done it myself from the 'git go'.
I am a fairly hands on individual.
With a bit of self education, how many lives would I endanger
putting one of these together on my own? :afraid
It's something that is emerging from my evil brain.

And thanks to both of you.
The idea of flying again is very exciting.
Cheers,
"The flash of a Spitfire's wing, then, through the misty glare of the summer sky, the first flash of a sharpened sword."

Vincent "Jimmy" Sheean, American journalist, watching a dogfight over Dover, August 1940.
Bunny
Wing Commander
Wing Commander
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Post by Bunny »

Nummy, there are a lot of chaps in TP that have built their own PC, I'm sure that they will be on hand to offer advice. I would say give it a go !
But, for all the love in the world, HURRY UP !!! its been like 5 years or more since you got in the skies with us. There is a war on donchuno!!!!
Ever hopeful,
We miss you
Bunster
(currently in wood elf form and studying my magic ring, intently)..
F/Lt Bunny
No1 Squadron B Flight Leader
Executive Officer No1 Squadron.
(Still part of the 145 Sqd dream team of course) :bunny1
--------------------------------------------------------
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire"
Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF

Post by Tom »

I'm getting my popcorn ready for when Sparky and Nummy are on comms together. I'm pretty sure there is going to be some kind of fusion or fission or something and the universe will lurch sideways.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it? Them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show
Gosho
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Gosho »

Nummy wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:56 am Howdy Gosho and Eddie:
First, Gosho, the nephew approves the list.
As does a friend in England who makes controls for commercial flight simulators.

Eddie: the nephew did say think about a better processor.
(These sixteen year old Nerds know everything.)
What processor would you recommend?
And case fans?
And the house has a Wifi adapter (I think) Anyway, it's wireless.

Okay, the Bold Question:
I have helped put computers together, new build.
Never done it myself from the 'git go'.
I am a fairly hands on individual.
With a bit of self education, how many lives would I endanger
putting one of these together on my own? :afraid
It's something that is emerging from my evil brain.

And thanks to both of you.
The idea of flying again is very exciting.
Cheers,
If you remove the CPU fan from the list and can spare a few more bucks, you can get the slightly better

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Processor (6C/12T, 35MB Cache, 4.2 GHz Max Boost)

If you can spare even more bucks, get the better

You have a Wifi router in the house but if you won't connect your computer to it with a LAN cable (which I recommend for IL2), you need a WiFi card on the PC, too.

Case fans - the case usually has at least one big fan but you can add a couple smaller ones ($10-$15) to ensure positive airflow in the case to keep dust out.

Regarding building it yourself - you definitely can do it yourself. I built my latest PC myself - it was my first time doing it and I am not particularly good with my hands, so you should have no problems. It is also lots of fun!
Silk
Group Captain
Group Captain
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Silk »

I don't recommend playing IL2 over wireless - I would always recommend using a cable to connect the PC to your router.
Nummy
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Nummy »

Alright mates, the intrepid P/O Nummy walks to the end of the high board,
pinches his nostrils, and goes off into the deep end.
We're on.

Gosho, the 'spare even more bucks' didn't come through, but I have added the Ryzen 5,3600 processor to the list.

An evil thought--I am hoping the longed-for by many IL2 'Hurri II' comes through about the time my PC is up and running.
My last campaign was 'Battle of France' in 2011, I think ,flying the Horribus I's which had the old two blade prop as I recall.
Finally got ganged up on by three 110's which shot away everything but me and the cockpit.
I drifted ever so peacefully under a big white umbrella to somewhere in France.
Curiously, three months later, in Real Life, I was standing somewhere in France just where my Hurricane
and my TP career had come to an end. (Temporarily)
Strange overlays and concomitantcies in all this.
But I would love to fly the Hurricane as the first plane to 'get one up' on my new computer,
understanding its a MK II and not my old MK I.

Tom, do you really think you can trust me and Sparky in the air?
Instincts say it could be traumatic.

Bunny, "I is Hurri-ing Boss."
Oh ha ha.

I will be soliciting advice in the days to come.
And thanks in advance . . .

El Nummo

:thumbwave And Silk, your advice just got here.
I like a cable and may set up a special place in my cousin's garage in easy cable reach of my rig.
Thanks all.

Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF

Post by Tom »

Nummy wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:53 pm
Tom, do you really think you can trust me and Sparky in the air?
Not a chance in hell, especially when you profess such love for the Horribus.

It'll be bad enough with Sparky trying to shoot me down (or generally stealing kills) and the Horribus trying to get me killed....
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it? Them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show
Bunny
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by Bunny »

Nummy,

I doubt the Hurricane will be out by the time your up and running, I expect you will be joining us in the Spitfire ! Lucky you. Oh and blackouts are something your going to have to get used to quite soon. That and Tom and Sparky stealing all your kills......
F/Lt Bunny
No1 Squadron B Flight Leader
Executive Officer No1 Squadron.
(Still part of the 145 Sqd dream team of course) :bunny1
--------------------------------------------------------
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire"
Silk
Group Captain
Group Captain
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Silk »

Does this mean that we have to restart the Spits campaign?? :P
Nummy
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Nummy »

"Not a chance in hell, especially when you profess such love for the Horribus."

Actually I don't love the Hurribus. But it is a great trainer to transition to a real hardball fighter like the Spit,and though I have been flying the Spit and loving it--some geezer time in a slower plane seems appropriate.
Get a few lazy hours in, bounce a few landings, try to remember how to navigate, take a pot shot or two at something.
Of course there is always the U2.

"It'll be bad enough with Sparky trying to shoot me down (or generally stealing kills) and the Horribus trying to get me killed...."

"Oh oh oh . . . " shades of Conky.
I was there in the rear of the flight when the Conk tested his guns a bit prematurely and winged BigByte's radiator
and sent him trailing white stuff back to the base.
I seem to recall that Tom got a dose of the same medicine.
Two S/Ls honking for home with a cooking engine.
I think Conky got an MID for that.
He's bunkered in in Thailand now, where he lives, and like everyone else waiting out the CV.

And yep, I found out about the blackouts.
But the improvements are nice, I think.
I see in today's DD that we are getting better canopy reflections
and the 'wet look' for aluminum has been cured.

I'm going to start down the components list for the new PC.
Seems the case and the Power Supply is the place to start the orders.
This will get move faster closer to the end of the month, when more cash becomes available.
Until then, I'm all ears for advice.

Thanks chaps . . .