The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.

SRS

Get advice on your tackle, or for Charlie to ask questions when he's broken his computer.

Moderator: Bunny

Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

SRS

Post by Tom »

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/63 ... comms-app/

Something to keep an eye on for the future.

The only uncertainty is if you need a separate server because it'd be a pain to have a standalone server.

My current settings are (click on the image to enlarge it):

In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it? Them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show
Fritz
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

Re: SRS

Post by Fritz »

If this is going to be similar to DCS SRS, then all we'll need is a server to host the server based program on. Which could be either Prangster or Silk's (or both, depending upon the circumstances). From what I've seen with our DCS one, it doesn't take much resources at all to run, and we've had 2 instances of DCS Dedicated Server running at the same time the SRS server instance is running with no issues.
James "Fritz" Bucholtz

"The duty of the fighter pilot is to patrol his area of the sky, and shoot down any enemy fighters in that area. Anything else is rubbish." - Manfred von Richthofen

"Some friends are better shots than are casual enemies." - Eddie Rickenbacker

"Who's the best pilot you ever saw?" - Mercury Astronaut Gordon Cooper
Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF

Post by Tom »

Ok so that means it is only available if someone with the server-side app is online.

I’d prefer something that is ever present so that we can all use it outside of ops.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it? Them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show
Moggy
Wing Commander
Wing Commander
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by Moggy »

@Tom you have my permission to use interpretive dance for your communication needs.
F/Lt. Moggy DSO*,DFC***,CDG & CAT
Yellow Section
No.43 Squadron
Silk
Group Captain
Group Captain
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Silk »

I've just looked at the Dserver configuration. There is a new box there for "SRS Comm URL:Port" so this would be configurable on a server by server basis.

This should mean that we can either install the server on a separate hosted web space (maybe even the same web space the forums are hosted on for instance) or that each server host (You, me, Prangster at the moment) could configure the server element on their host machine and then host the comms for that Ops server.

I'm sure that more will become apparent as this project continues.
Reggie
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Reggie »

Silk wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:12 pm I've just looked at the Dserver configuration. There is a new box there for "SRS Comm URL:Port" so this would be configurable on a server by server basis.

This should mean that we can either install the server on a separate hosted web space (maybe even the same web space the forums are hosted on for instance) or that each server host (You, me, Prangster at the moment) could configure the server element on their host machine and then host the comms for that Ops server.

I'm sure that more will become apparent as this project continues.
Looking at the technical docs posted on the IL2 forum, the server side seems to be an app running on a physical machine at all times. That wouldn't be something you could host on a web space unless I am missing something technical from the docs, or have misread them.
Reggie - website and forum dude.
Silk
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Silk »

Yes, I suspect that the option is going to be for several Ops server hosters to install the server component and configure it for use. I'll take a look at doing so and maybe enable it for a single practice Dserver.
Silk
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Silk »

OK, I've set up the server and client side of things for myself and this will be available to test when the Brass decides to give it a look to evaluate. I have not set this to be available to any of my Dservers as yet.

One oddity is that the client default port appears to be different from the server default port. I'm sure that there will be a reason though.
Gosho
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Gosho »

SRS runs only on Windows, it appears. You would need at least a Windows VM to run that, if you want it to be always online.

Can anyone shed some light on how would that be better than TS / Discord?
Silk
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Silk »

Not particularly wanting to get in the middle of this, but it does open the door to tactical comms on separate channels should we ever be able to fly on a single server again while maintaining the ability to have other layers of comms as well. Presently we can do very similar with whisper comms, although that can get unwieldy. I am supposing that a lot of evaluation and testing will need to take place before the Brass decides whether this feature will be useful, let alone adopted.
Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF

Post by Tom »

Gosho wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:52 am Can anyone shed some light on how would that be better than TS / Discord?

Or to put it another way - what would it add to the experience? I’m all for testing but there has to be a clear benefit for what we do.

We’ll try it over the summer to see if we like it or not.

In the meantime if you want radio comms visit here https://www.myteamspeak.com/addons/f2e0 ... c2fab29def

Download it, run it to install it then you get a plugins link at the top of Teamspeak. Go to Radiofx and tick the home box.

Armstrong & Miller Show
Tom
Marshall of the RAF
Marshall of the RAF

Post by Tom »

I added an image to the first post showing my current settings.

Armstrong & Miller Show
Hatter
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Hatter »

SRS is pretty, but I believe that it is currently too unreliable to adopt in OPs.

It disconnected twice for me (I am 5,000 miles away, so ping is likely involved). I wasn’t the only one who experienced this problem, though. Restarting the client is a massive pain in the arse when you’re in game. It’s probably nigh on impossible in VR.

If its reliability improves, it could be useful.
"Oh God!"
charlie
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by charlie »

It is useful and sounds great, but is quite tricky to access when trying to adjust in game - particularly if the overlay is not on. Not sure at this point if its difficulties outweigh the benefits so look forward to trying out again on the 16th.
F/Lt Charlie DFC*
No1 Sqn

"Success in life consists of going from one mistake to the next without losing your enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Modelling projects:
http://www.behance.net/search?search=ch ... user_tags=
Nick

Post by Nick »

Big fan of it in DCS, where you have a clickable cockpit and can enter frequencies etc directly integrated from the cockpit. It just makes sense and adds to the realism, especially if you have someone playing a GCI or JTAC and can work 2 frequencies at once easily. But for IL2 I personally don't really feel that it adds much. Yes it sounds a bit different, but having multiple channels is a bit of a pain and I don't see us it that much unless we are going to have a separate net for each flight and common freq for the squadron. Maybe a bit overkill for what we use it for? That and I also had technical problems with it last night disconnecting me half way through the mission. Perhaps it's worth leaving it for a couple of months worth of updates then reviewing how the development is going?