The Tangmere Pilots extend a warm welcome to visitors in the Guest Room. Please feel free to register, drop by the Guest Room to say hello. If you are looking to join a squadron, we are currently recruiting. You can browse the rest of our site to see if The Tangmere Pilots fit what you are looking for.
Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Resource freeing

Prangster is the Resident Expert on Battle of Stalingrad mission designing and building. He will impart his great wisdom within the hallowed halls of this room.

Moderators: Reggie, Tom

Jacko
Great Britain
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Resource freeing

Post by Jacko » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:41 pm

As the current system uses a lot of resources with twin engined AI and a squadron of human pilots I was wondering how to reduce the load and maximise the game play. I did see on veliluki that the scenery group covers the whole map with buildings and if we temporarily deleted great chunks that are not going to be in play will that save much in resources.
Special recognition - Odious Mission Designer
VVS Rank: Starshina of the 32nd IAD Fighter Aviation Regiment.
RAF Rank: F/Lt Jacko No1 Squadron (JX-J) & No1 Sqd Press Officer
LW Rank: Feldwebel

"Use speed get close, get closer and make every bullet count "

"The only proper defense is offense"
.......Air Vice-Marshall J.E "Johnnie" Johnson, RAF
https://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/

Prangster
Great Britain
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Re: Resource freeing

Post by Prangster » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:02 pm

Buildings, because they don't use AI, won't effect performance but they do effect loading times. There aren't actually a lot of building on the VL map.

The CPU resources are mostly taken by AI, including gunners and FM.

There are two resource used in multiplayer, internet upload speed and CPU speed, I've been doing some experiments to determine the acceptable limits.

The first limit is upload speed and for our purposes 2 to 3 mb/s is fine unless you need to run a DF server with 32 or more players. A slow upload or having players with poor connections will cause some lag and rubber banding in game.

The second limit is CPU speed and the DServer only uses one processor core at the moment. Hopefully this is an area that the developers can improve and I think they have indicated that they're looking at making the DServer support multi threading. The DServer computer needs to process all the AI and FM calculations for the non player aircraft and ground units, plus all the triggers and commands as well as send them to the players and handling all the player aircraft interactions. That's a lot of calculations and when the CPU can't keep up the SPS (Simulation tick Per Second) will rise to 50 and the Tick delay increase to 20. When that happens you get the server warning message and the game calculations start dropping below realtime causing some units in the mission to appear to slow down and then bounce back as the CPU catches up, this look similar to rubber banding caused by lag.

My I7 processor running at 3.4 MHZ with 13 Player, the VL map and an average number of ground objects will take up to half the resources. A dozen AI fighters on top will push it up to full load. Just 6 PE2 and four fighters will cause the occasional spike over my resource limit. Add another 4 fighters and you start to get slow downs.

I'm starting to convert all my mission groups to use Check Zones rather than Complex triggers because, not only do they use fewer resources, but they will track aircraft inside the radius rather than just those that enter. Check Zones have only worked in multi-player since the last patch.

Some answers from Han

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/7-q ... /?p=291298

roaming_gnome, on 28 Sept 2015 - 07:07, said:
First Question: What will give me best usage of CPU for an Linked Entity object that is to activate when aircraft enters radius of 4000m and exits at 4500m for example. Is it the pictured combination of complex trigger that is activated and deactivated or use of two zone checks instead of the complex trigger? -- to avoid hours and hours and hours of testing.

A. Complex trigger - is most CPU-harmfull trigger. Two check zones are much better.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/7-q ... /?p=289103

=LG=Kathon, on 26 Sept 2015 - 12:05, said:
What are SPS and Ticks Delay in DServer? What are recommended values for them?

A. SPS - simulation ticks per second.
In norm - 50 ticks per second.
If SPS falls less than 50 - slow motion problem will arise.

Tick delay - time (miliseconds) required to calculate one simulation tick.
1000/50 = 20 ms
So if TD rise more than 20 ms - slow motion arises.

Good advise from Coconut

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/178 ... /?p=280540

Bomber AIs (he111 and pe2) consume the most. Then attack airplanes and fighters. Not sure if there is a difference between attack and fighters.

Any aircraft that is taxiing on the ground takes extra CPU, and it's very noticeable. If you want lots of AI planes, keep yourself to attackers and fighters, spawn them in the air, and don't make them land. If you want to have the AIs taxi, take-off and land, keep yourself to a couple (2) at a time.

Ground vehicles don't take much, and artillery is mostly free. Logic (triggers, commands, translator) barely registers on the graph. Take it easy with complex triggers, though, it seems they consume network resources. Not sure how much.

For reference, in my most CPU-heavy mission (Counter-Offensive), I think I have a few hundred ground units and about 12 AI planes active simultaneously, two of which can be bombers, depending on the mission. I ran this mission on an core i5 4690K running at 3.8GHz.

Another mission, RatasAndStukas has 8 waves of three Stukas, which can lead to having about 6-12 Stukas active in the air at the same time. There are also a few i16, up to 8 (but typically at most 4). I get occasional short "red peaks" in cases where the Stukas don't get shot down. I give each flight of Stukas a few minutes to land, typically enough for the leader. I also delete an aircraft as soon as it's landed, I don't let it taxi all the way to the parking. This mission runs on my laptop, a core i5 4200U (up to 2.6 Ghz).

Note that DServer can only use a single core. I don't know what CPU you are running it, but multiple cores don't help. A hi-frequency intel is probably best suited for the task. There is no "turbo" setting for DServer that I know of. Overclocking and water-cooling is probably your best bet.
Oberfeldwebel Prangster
Staffelführer 5./JG52
------------------------------
Starshina Prangster
Order of the Red Banner, Medal for Merit in Combat
88 GIAP

Jacko
Great Britain
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Post by Jacko » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:39 pm

Wow a lot of text there Prangster.
As and when you convert groups to check zones we can grab them and replace the older ones using complex triggers

Swallow
Austria
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by Swallow » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:05 am

Prangster, that's a really clear, really authoritative post. I'd strongly encourage you to release it into the wild.

Jacko
Great Britain
Air Vice Marshall
Air Vice Marshall

Post by Jacko » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:51 pm

Last night mission we had a server crash at the same place as we re-ran. Originally Prangster said we had 12 pilots that took up half the resources but there are servers running with 64 players that as afar as I can tell run relatively smoothly. So I am not sure how 12 humans takes up half. Also we erhm lost a few pilots early.

We had no twin engined planes and most of the IL2's were shot down. then the La5s appeared. So I am wondering what else might have caused the crash.

The mission overlaod message came on fairly early as well.

Just thinking out loud :)

Tom
Wales
Air Marshall
Air Marshall

Post by Tom » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:56 pm

We can try it again tomorrow. If it happens with say 6 people we know there is something else going on.

As an aside, I recall making a Circus operation using the 1:1 map with probably 200 aircraft in the air (original IL2). Some had hardware that struggled with it but every time a particular thing happened (I think it was aircraft spawning in after 30min or so) it died. There was no way I could find to fix it.
In selecting the motto... 'all for one and one for all'... I have done so because it expresses what should be the creed to every Fighter Pilot. Never forget that you are an essential cog in the wheel, and if you break or fail it will let down your brother pilots, and the grimness of war allows for no such weakness.

Air Vice Marshal Saul in the foreword to 13 Group's 'Forget-Me-Nots for Fighters'

"They fly Hurricanes, isn't it?, them's shit planes for remtards on free dinners..."
Armstrong & Miller Show